45. My Journal/Sketchbook Collection

I am absolutely in love with journals, diaries, and sketchbooks. I have far more than I need, but I can't stop myself from buying more each time I cross a beautiful notebook. This post is the result of my unhealthy desire for various types of notebooks. I'm basically just going to do a talk-through of all the various kinds of notebooks I own, because this is the content I would love to see from pretty much everyone on the planet.  
.   

I'm gonna start off with the biggest book,  which is the black collaged sketchbook. I bought this for my freshman year art  class, and it's all filled up. Mostly, this just has technique practice and drafts for bigger projects. This sketchbook is, however, falling apart. The cover has come off the binding and the pages are stained with paint, I think. It's really in rough condition, but the collage I did on it is too beautiful to me still to give up. 


Next, is actually the journal that started this whole love affair. In eighth grade, our final project for art was an art journal. Our (lovely) art teacher bought us all journals, plain black Blick sketchbooks, and gave us vague prompts to fill for each assignment. Essentially, we could take this in any direction we wanted; we just had to do something. This is sketchbook is also all filled up, and it's kind of like a    postcard from one of the easiest times in my life. The first half of the book is filled with drawings and such, and the second half is mostly writing. Neither of those are   particularly profound, but they mean quite a lot to me.        

 

 



The last sketchbook is another plain black journal, but while the other had a harder shell cover, this one is fabric. I'm not sure what the brand is, but I got this at Michael's, and the paper quality is not very good. It's also an art journal, but this one is from my sophomore year, and some of the art from it can be found in earlier posts on this blog. This, like the first art journal mean a great deal to me, even if the actual work in it is nothing award-worthy.           


 


Now, moving on to real journals, the pale pink is the first I got out of these. I got it for my fifteenth birthday and I wrote a summary of my day every single day for eight months. I meant to do it for a full year, but it kind of fell off the tracks. I have written in it since then, but now it's just a record of some of the more special days. I love the idea of daily journaling, so I might restart this on my next birthday.       
   
  



Next, I'm gonna talk about the aqua colored notebook. This is structurally the same as the pink notebook, but it holds my writing projects. It has an idea list for this blog, as well as some other stuff I'm working on.     


Apparently, I forgot to take a photo of the 'Start an Adventure' notebook that you can see at the top, but I do have a picture of the inside. This isn't my absolute favorite one as I don't really like spiral notebooks, but it does the job. I use this notebook for a project I started at the   beginning of this year where you write a thank you note to a different person each week. The point of the project was to put a little more positivity into the world, but for me it's more of a gratitude project.   



Another spiral notebook I have is the Burn Book. This one is something I've started filling recently, after my clothing crisis (that I talked a little bit about here), because I read that keeping a journal of your outfits helps you understand what works and what doesn't. I'm not sure if it's really doing that, but I think I'll have to do it for a while to get the full benefit. 




The last spiral is a white notebook with an illustration of the "you make my heart shake, bend, and break," lyrics by Troye Sivan. I haven't written anything in this yet,  but it might just become a poetry notebook, because I really don't enjoy writing poems and things like that on my phone, but we'll see how it goes. 

The last book is actually a planner. I never thought I would love a planner so much, but this one is kind of my baby. I wrote a quote that mattered to me on each page, and did a little illustration, too. Honestly, the prospect of seeing my own little doodles is the only thing that motivated me to keep using this. I would definitely recommend doing this if you, like me, think typical agendas are useless, because this was a lifesaver this school year.


Share:

0 comments