57. January 15


January 15, 2000

Your parents hold an angel baby boy for the first time; you scream your guts out

I am still a star in the sky, in parents' eyes

January 15, 2001

I slip into the world like the silver moon on a winter night; my grandmother gives me a name and I am the most me I will ever be

You turn a year old, but you could pass for three

January 15, 2002

You don't listen when your parents tell you "stop that!" 
You get time-outs

I've already been speaking for months; I can talk to anyone about anything

January 15, 2003

I am two, but not too terrible

Your parents wonder when you'll finally grow out of this stage

January 15, 2004

You take pictures with cake on your face. Your grandparents fall in love with you. 

I get a Buzz Lightyear toy and go to Chuck E. Cheese. My cousin taught me how to count to 20. 

January 15, 2005

I get to stand on a chair in class while everyone sings "Happy Birthday"

You were hoping for snow. The roads are clear

January 15, 2006

You get a Gameboy

I am one of fifth of the way to being twenty-five; I feel it

January 15, 2007

I get a new dress

Your mom brings cupcakes to class. They're chocolate, so you don't take a single bite

January 15, 2008

Second grade means birthday parties

I've recently become a big sister for the second time. I'm so grown I can't hold it in my tiny body

January 15, 2009

I feel magical, inside and out

You're half way to being an adult

January 15, 2010

You watch a new movie — it's gory

I go out to dinner with my family

January 15, 2011

I have a birthday party, but I tore my stomach lining and can't eat anything

You get a new jersey for your birthday 

January 15, 2012

Whether or not the Mayans were right, you can feel the world ending

I don't know who I am, but I'm ready to find her

January 15, 2013

I'm nearly a woman

You think drinking makes you a man

January 15, 2014

You smoke pot for the first time

I want to be a star again

January 15, 2015

I have only just fallen in love for the first time — with myself, with life, with my family, with a boy who touched my heart

In high school, you realize it's easier to be hungover than sober on your birthday

January 15, 2016

You play hooky; your girlfriend comes over that night

I don't know who you are and I have yet to realize that I wish I never would

January 15, 2017

You go out with your friends

I feel sick to my stomach every time I think about us being connected in any way

January 15, 2018

I am taking back my life


You have a storm coming your way

Share:

0 comments